Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My Bike

I have been riding for 10 days now and my legs are getting stronger and are able to deal with the increasing elevation, but my bike has been strong and ready since day one. I am riding a Surly Long Haul Trucker the frame is made of cromoly steel heavier then an aluminum frame but the ride quality is much nicer. I'm riding wheels that I built of course the front wheel is a old Sun Tour Super Be hub laced to a mavic A719 with double butted spokes and brass nipples. The rear is a Hope Pro II hub laced to a mavic A719 with double butted spokes with brass nipples. The wheels have been holding up well, not a bit out of true. My racks are made by surly also made of cromoly steel again heavier but if they were to break much easier to find someone who can weld steel over aluminum. My panniers which are stuffed with to much stuff are made by Axiom, they are 100% waterproof which is a nice feature. My drive train is 9speed shimano pretty standard, I'm using a mountain triple crankset which has a 22-32-42 ring size I wish that I would have had a bigger middle ring but its ok. Everything on the bike has been holding up real well haven't had any issues other then 2 flats. I'm riding a Bontrager race lite hard case it says it has triple puncture protection I have a tire liner just in case but, some how I got a flat in the rear getting into Billings. The front tire is a Nokian tour guard tire with a nice tread pattern and some how again it got punctured by glass oh well that's how it goes. Well there's a little bit about the bike and some of the equipement.

6 comments:

  1. That shot of your tent next to the field house is awesome. Miss ya buddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work and weary of anything that resembles tendonidis.

    I wish my tour had been longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt! i need you, i keep breaking spokes. what am i doing wrong?
    Also,running into indians, camping alone in the wilderness, eating snakes...you've become a bonafied cowboy,with your bike as your trusty steed all you need to do now is to head off a stampeede,save a little lady and say"aww, shucks maam,twern't nuthin"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Season, you really saw that comment through. Nice build, Matty. Now that you've been on the road for a while, is there anything you would've done differently in putting the bike together if you could do it again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Update your damned blog!!! Joel's crying!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you got nice equipment, but your heart is huge!
    Miss ya, safe travels...
    noren

    ReplyDelete