Sunday, June 28, 2009

Idaho

Hey everybody how have you all been? Well I am in Lewiston, Idaho which is on the western border to Washington state. I have had pretty good weather since I last wrote, everyday has been at least 80 degrees so that's been a real treat.

I had a pretty good time in Missoula, MT, I was able to visit the Adventure Cycling Association which is a non-profit that promotes bicycle touring and is the maker of the maps that I am using. I met a few guys at the local brewery and played disc golf with them, the course was pretty amazing it was right in the Blue Mountains just west of Missoula. That evening while trying to sleep in a city park I was rudely awaken by the sprinklers at 3am, I was only in my sleeping bag ,which ended up getting wet. I was up then trying to dry out my sleeping bag, I fell asleep at about 5 and not to much later I was awoken to some kids trying steal my bike, they didn't get far since it weighs 2 million pounds, interesting night.

On Friday the 26th I started out from Missoula, MT and from there I slowly climbed up Lolo Pass which is only 5,235 feet which is a lot I know but, small compared to the Continental Divide which sits another 1,000 feet higher at 6,375 which I climbed a week earlier. The difference was that Lolo climbs for 50 miles and the Divide climbs for 8 miles. At the peak of Lolo Pass is the border between Montana and Idaho it's a beautiful area with a ranger station and rest area. The trip down the other side of the mountain was pretty amazing, the view was wonderful, forest for as far as the eye could see. I camped that night in Powell Junction a nice camping area 13 miles into Idaho, it was nice after all this traveling to be able cook supper over a camp fire. The next morning I traveled west following the Lochsa River through the Clearwater National Forest the most amazing 65 miles I have ridden yet, every turn was another beautiful view of the river and forest in every direction. I have several new pictures posted on my Picasa site http://picasaweb.google.com/longhaultruckinmatt/BikeTrip?feat=directlink I had to make a new album so here that one too http://picasaweb.google.com/longhaultruckinmatt/BikeTrip2?feat=directlink. That evening I camped in Lowell tiny town of 26 people. Today I did my first 100 mile day of the trip from Lowell to Lewiston, it was a pretty good day considering it was 90 degrees most of the day, my legs started to cramp up at around mile 90, but water cures all.

Well that's it for awhile tomorrow I head into Washington state I have about 100 miles to get to Walla Walla, Washington. From there its about 200 miles to Portland, talk to around the 6th of July.

4 comments:

  1. nice pics matt! wish i had the time off to go do something awesome like this..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bud- I bet you were wondering when your parents were going to sign in. I remembered I had a google account from school, so I am using that. LaVonne wants to know what the picture of what looks like three rocks sitting on top of one another is. It looks like a miniature snowman. You will have to let her know. Have a great night. Love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just happened to see it when I was in Idaho, someone must have stopped there and did it or some weird freak of nature, but it was really neat to happen to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Matt,
    Bought the Schraner book you recommended, and really like it.

    Hope your trip is as awesome as it sounds/looks.

    I look forward to buying you a beer and hearing more of yours travels when you return, eventually.
    -Phil (Edina BS)

    ReplyDelete